Manningham is home to a thriving and diverse local economy, employing over 30,000 people (NIEIR 2015) of which 54 per cent travel from outside of Manningham, the majority residing in neighbouring suburbs. The top 10 industry sectors by employment are:
- Retail Trade (19 per cent)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (15 per cent)
- Education and Training (11 per cent)
- Construction (10 per cent)
- Accommodation and Food Services (8 per cent)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (8 per cent)
- Other Services (5 per cent)
- Administration and Support Services (3 per cent)
- Public Administration and Safety (3 per cent)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (2 per cent)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (2 per cent)
As at November 2016 there were 44,097 registered Australian Business Numbers (ABNs) in Manningham of which it is estimated that 98 per cent employ less than 20 people. It is estimated that there are 13,383 (ABS 2017) active local businesses in Manningham.
The majority of Manningham’s over 50,000 strong workforce work outside of Manningham (76.2 per cent), with the majority (23.7 per cent) working in the inner Melbourne suburbs and CBD. Over 80 per cent of Manningham’s workforce is employed in the top five occupations:
- Professional (29 per cent)
- Managers (17 per cent)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (15 per cent)
- Sales Workers (11 per cent)
- Technicians and Trade Workers (10 per cent)
Manningham is home to over 124,000 people (ABS ERP 2017), while an aging population the City is seeing growth in residential housing in key locations. Manningham has a high household income with nearly 27 per cent being over $2,500 per week, compared to 23 per cent for Greater Melbourne and 20 per cent for Victoria.
Manningham is highly educated with 42 per cent of the population having a diploma or higher (Greater Melbourne 33.5 per cent).
Manningham has a Gross Regional Product of $4.25 billion (December 2018). Manningham’s two key Industry Sections of Retail Trade and Health Care and Social Assistance generating over 10,500 jobs and over $1 billion in outputs.
REMPLAN are a team of economists, planners, demographers and software developers. They develop online analytical tools and information resources for economic development, planning and tourism practitioners in local, state and federal government agencies, consulting firms, university researchers and students. As specialists in providing area-specific data, Manningham Business is proud to partner with them to bring the most up to date economic data to our business community.
Manningham Business and Community Profile – suburb based data